Château Cos d'Estournel
Subscribe to our newsletter and be
first to hear about wine news, exclusive events and tempting offers.
Château Cos d'Estournel
Order Château Cos d'Estournel »
Top Vintages Produced:
1928, 1953, 1970, 1982, 1986, 1995, 1996, 2001, 2005, 2009, 2010
Château Cos d'Estournel – Deuxième Cru Class 1855 Classification
Les Pagodes de Cos – Saint-Estèphe AOP
Cos d’Estournel Blanc - Bordeaux AOP
Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Sauvignon Blanc, Sémillon
Château Cos d'Estournel
Les Pagodes de Cos
Cos d’Estournel Blanc
In 1811, Louis Gaspard d’Estournel decided to make wine from a few hectares of vines that he had inherited and Château
Cos d’Estournel was born. Classified as a Deuxième Cru Classé in 1855, exports of this prestigious wine eventually reached
as far as southeast Asia, which inspired long-time Sinophile Louis to erect the unique and recognisable stone pagodas which
still stand over the estate’s cellars. Unfortunately, due to surmounting debts, Louis Gaspard eventually had to sell Cos,
but his name has endured to this day.(read more)
During subsequent decades the estate underwent several ownership changes. However, the most significant improvements
to the property were made during the tenure of Bruno Prats, who headed the estate from the late 1980’s through to 1998.
Along with his son (and current estate manager) Jean-Guillaume, Bruno modernised and improved both the facilities and winemaking practices.
Viticulture and Vinification
In the old Gascon language of the region, Cos means ‘hill of pebbles’ and this accurately describes the soil
composition of the estate’s vineyards - deep gravel over a limestone bed. Currently, the property owns 70 hectares
of which 60% are planted to Cabernet Sauvignon vines and 40% to Merlot.
The vineyards are worked manually and the harvest is always done by hand. Only vines that are more than 20 years old are
used for the Grand Vin, while vines which are younger are used for the estate’s second wine - Les Pagodes de Cos.
The château cellars were refurbished in 2009 and are now some of the most modern in Bordeaux – a feat of beautiful glass
and steel engineering. Fermentation takes place in stainless steel, temperature controlled tanks and both pump-overs and
racking are done by gravity. Malolactic fermentation takes place in barrel, of which 60 to 100% are new French oak. The Grand
Vin is aged for 18 months in barrel before bottling, while Les Pagodes de Cos is aged for 12 months.
Cos d’Estournel Blanc is produced from grapes grown in Jau-Dignac and Loriac, (in the northern Medoc) and the blend is usually
80% Sauvignon Blanc, with the remaining 20% comprised of Sémillon. The fruit for Cos Blanc is also handpicked, but is done so in
several tries (passes through the vineyard) to ensure that all of the berries are of equal ripeness. Fermentation of the white
wine takes place in one year old oak barrels.
- Château Cos d'Estournel – Deuxième Cru Class 1855 Classification
- Les Pagodes de Cos – Saint-Estèphe AOP
- Cos d’Estournel Blanc - Bordeaux AOP
Cabernet Sauvignon is the dominant variety in the estate’s red wines, with Merlot making up the remainder. On very rare occasions a small
amount of Cabernet Franc is also included. The white wines are blends of predominantly Sauvignon Blanc with a small percentage of Sémillon.
- Cos d’Estournel - Grand Vin
- Les Pagodes de Cos - Second Wine
- Cos d’Estournel Blanc - White
Order top vintages of Château Cos d'Estournel
- Château Cos d'Estournel 1945: (18/20 JR)
"...Very rich and concentrated (much beefier and more concentrated than the 1929 served alongside)
on the nose with just a hint of oxidation. Dense, firm fruit and not THAT much evolution. Thick
and firm. Very solid...not haunting but impressive. I could well imagine another bottle that would
be mind blowing" – Jancis Robinson, JancisRobinson.com
- Château Cos d'Estournel 2003: (98 RP)
"The prodigious, fantastic 2003 Cos d’Estournel is a candidate for “wine of the vintage.”... An inky/blue/purple
color is accompanied by a compelling perfume of black fruits, subtle smoke, pain grille, incense,
and flowers. With extraordinary richness, full body, and remarkable freshness, elegance, and persistence,
this is one of the finest wines ever made by this estate. The good news is that it will be drinkable at a
young age yet evolve for three decades or more..." – Robert Parker,
The Wine Advocate
- Château Cos d'Estournel 2005: (98 WS)
"Black in color, with aromas of orange peel, new leather, currant, berry and Christmas pudding. Full-bodied,
with layers of velvety tannins and a long, long finish of fruit and spices. The cashmere texture is all there.
2003 plus 2000 equals 2005..." – James Suckling,